Fundamentals of Water Quality Analysis and Its Applications
Date: 14th & 15th August 2023
Time: 9am- 5pm
Venue: Nanyang Polytechnic
Course Title: Fundamentals of Water Quality Analysis and Its Applications
Date: 14 & 15 August 2023 (Mon/Tues)
Time: 9.00 am – 5.00 pm
Venue: Nanyang Polytechnic
Instructor: Dr Teo Chee Wee, Senior Lecturer at the School of Applied Science in Nanyang Polytechnic.
Dear SWA Members & Partners,
Singapore Water Association and Nanyang Polytechnic will be co-organising a 2-day course, Fundamentals of Water Quality Analysis and Its Applications on 14 & 15 August 2023. The course will be delivered by Nanyang Polytechnic.
The objective of this course is to enable participants to gain a working knowledge of common water quality parameters and their operational and environmental implications. The combination of theoretical and practical sessions will promote an in-depth understanding of the relevant parameters and their interrelationships.
This course introduces participants to fundamental aspects of water quality for application in pollution control and water & wastewater treatment. It also covers key concepts of water quality management with reference to the latest trade effluent discharge standards in Singapore. Participants will learn about the techniques to carry out common water quality analysis and pick up hands-on skills to perform actual practical analysis in the laboratory. Participants will also be able to analyse feed and effluent from various water treatment processes and interpret the performances of these processes.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Conduct quantitative analysis for various water quality parameters
2. Perform various water quality tests by reference to the Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater
3. Identify the types of water quality tests required for analysis of trade effluent with reference to the discharge regulations in Singapore
Who Should Attend?
This short course is suitable for any laboratory analysts, engineers and technicians in the water industry and/or professionals involved in pollution control. It is a foundation course on water quality, and no prior experience or qualification is required.
1. Units of measurement
- Equivalent weight
- Unit conversion
- Principle of electroneutrality
- Balancing of water analysis
2. Discharge regulations in Singapore
- Discharge of trade effluent into public sewers
- Discharge of trade effluent into watercourses
3. Characteristics of water and wastewater
- Physical characteristics such as pH, temperature, solids content, turbidity, color and conductivity
- Chemical characteristics such as alkalinity, acidity, hardness, COD, BOD and TOC
- Biological characteristics such as types of bacteria, virus and pathogens
- Interrelationships between various water quality parameters
4. Water sampling and analysis
- Good practices for proper water sampling Principles of analytical methods and instruments
- Analysis of various water quality parameters in the laboratory
Course Fee (Excl. GST 8%):
– SWA Member (SGD 550)
– Non-Member (SGD 650)
Award of Certificate
1. A Certificate of Completion will be awarded to participants who meet the 75% attendance.
To confirm a place for this training, please register online REGISTRATION FORM by 31st July.
For further enquiries, please feel free to contact Ms Cecilia Tan at Tel: 65150812 / 91778477 or email firstname.lastname@example.org